Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Stopping Run On Senteces in their Tracks

Do you have students whose writing runs and runs and runs? It is wonderful that they have so much to say! I am excited that my run on writers have so much to write that they can barely stop to put a period on their paper. At the same time, I would like them to be able to edit their ideas.

I've tried a lot of techniques. I've tried the, "Read your paper out loud and listen to where you pause" technique. This works poorly with students who are ESL, or speak non-standard English at home, or talk a million words a minute.

So what does work? I would love to hear any ideas you have!

This is what I have come up with so far. I teach students that every sentence has a subject and a verb. In a simple sentence the subject always comes first, and then the verb. You might have more than one subject or more than one verb, but the subject always comes first. If it does not come first, the sentence needs a comma or is a run on sentence.

Here is my video on run on sentences and editing for run on sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment