Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What to do when the kids are doing well . . .

When is "good" fabulous?

So often, I focus on what I can improve.

Are you always thinking about what could be done a little bit differently? how you could be doing better?

Your students are sitting quietly and working with a partner. They are engaged. They are smiling and learning with a partner. They are using a whisper voice, they are on task, they are doing very well working cooperatively.

Do you have this voice that says, "Have you thought about trying ____?" 

I notice that I focus on what I can improve with my own children too. I have three lovely children - Rosa, who just turned 13 weeks old, Natalia, who just turned 3 years old, and Mateo, who is 4 1/2. Summer time is wonderful. I get to spend all of my time with my favorite children. (Of course I love my students too!)

Yesterday I was hanging out with them at a local children's museum. They were playing grocery and having a blast counting different fruits. They were weighing them on a pretend scale. Everything was going so smoothly. Then I had this great idea. They could pretend to bag the groceries and deliver them to people. . .

And then I remembered, when the kids are doing well, sometimes the worst thing you can do is make it "better."

I let them play and just relaxed. We ended up having a lovely time at the museum. We played with blocks, played groceries, made a fort and just played. Sometimes I joined in their games, sometimes I just observed with interest, sometimes I read a book.

There are plenty of times when good is fabulous!

Where in your home, or in your life are things good enough? 

How about summer work.

Do you plan on spending much of August getting read for the school year? If you are like most teachers, you do spend some time in August making plans. Hopefully you find much of this time enjoyable. You are excited about the year to come.

  • How perfect do you make those plans? 
  • Do you spend a ton of time making bulletin boards that must a step above "good enough?" 
  • Where could you let yourself be "good enough?"

What about your children
  • If you have children and a partner, do you let your spouse take care of them? 
  • Do you feel the need to correct his or her performance? 
  • Do the dishes have to be unloaded in the perfect way? 
  • The bed story read in the "right" way. 
  • Where should you let things just be "good" in your life?

Your Do Now (I'm sure you use these. Don't skip this!)
  1. Say in your head or out loud what you are doing. 
  2. After that, make a small change. One that you can do in 5 minutes or less. (If it will take more than 5 min., break it down. Now do that 5 min. step.)
  3. Make that change now and  and then . . .
  4. Let us know how it went!

Go from stress to success!

Share with other people one change you are willing to make or something you noticed about yourself. You will help out other people while helping yourself. When you write things down, you are more likely to make lasting change.  Please leave your thoughts in the comments section.

1 comment:

  1. Sacha, Your blog looks great. Lots of great resources. We have some common interests as well...gardening, learning, children. I think your life is a bit wild right now the age of your children! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete