Now, as students make improvements (in anything) they can get a star. The students can get stars for improving in behavior, test scores, kindness, behavior with a substitute teacher etc. They love to get stars. This week some students received stars for the following:
- Improving scores on a vocabulary quiz
- Doing extra credit during reading time
- Participating with gestures during mirror
- Tutoring another student on some tricky math problems
- Working well with their partners
- Turning in HW (a child who frequently forgets)
- Improving scores on Super Speed Math
Every time they get 10 stars, they move up a level. We have a celebration after lunchtime when students are going to move up a level. Another time I'll share the different chants we use in the classroom. When a student has ten stars, a student helper moves their card so it is vertical. That lets me know that the child is ready to move up a level.
The students really like to take home the index cards with all of their stars. I then make a big deal of letting them choose the color their name will be written on for the next level.
We have a solar system theme going on. I find some decal stickers of the solar system, which I put up around the wall. They start at the sun and move out towards Saturn.
Here is a picture of the wall!