Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Charge yourself up for the afternoon

Do you ever feel like the afternoon drags on? Sometimes, when I have had a long night the previous day (I have a 1 years old, a 3 year old and a 5 year old), I take a power nap during lunch. I know that taking 10 minutes out of my 30 minute "duty free" lunch break is a challenge, but it makes the rest of my day so much better.

Here are my tips for a 10 minute power nap:

  1. Bring a blanket to school. You can put it in a drawer or a shelf. You'll feel much more comfortable with it around. (If you really want to relax, you might even want a light blocking eye mask or a small travel pillow.)
  2. Lock the door. You really don't want a student or another person walking into the classroom when you are taking a nice 10 minute power nap.
  3. Set an alarm! Clearly, you can't go for more than 10 minutes during lunch time.
  4. Drink a cup of black tea first. This has made a big difference for me. I get to rest, and then when the timer goes off, the caffeine helps me wake up and be ready to go.
  5. Put on some relaxing music or a progressive relaxation CD. I found an amazing progressive relaxation download for 99 cents at the itunes store. This helps me relax during my 10 minute break.
  6. Relax! If you have guilty thoughts, let go of them. It is your duty free lunch break. When you take care of yourself, you have more to give to your family and your students!
If you have never tried a 10 minute lunch power nap, try one sometime this week. You'll be amazed by the difference it can make! 

No comments:

Post a Comment