Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Sentence Frames for Math Games

Have you ever listened to students talk during math games? This is what it often sounds like.

Student 1: Grunts
Student 2: Oh Yah. 1, 2, 3 (moving ahead 3 spaces)
Student 1: Sweet. (Moves ahead 2 spaces)
Student 2: Grunts

Not too much academic discourse is occurring! The game comes out.  Students go into "Game Mode."

I've started using sentence frames to combat this tendency. I use a lot of games from Drops in the Bucket. (I love their products, but really any game would work in your math curriculum etc.) You might need to modify the sentence frames to match your games. Feel free to change them around and make them work for you!

Enjoy!

Sacha

PS: If you choose to use these frames, please share my website with some other teachers as a thank you to me.

Game Time Sentence Frames


Online classes I offer for teachers through HOL.edu:


RENEWING OURSELVES & OUR TEACHING
FIRST DAYS OF SCHOOL: From Stress to Success
ORGANIZING FROM THE INSIDE OUT
SAVE TIME: Time Management for Your Teaching & Your Life   


No comments:

Post a Comment