Pages

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Renewing Myself - Meditation Time

I pick up my students outside under the covered walkway at 8:25am. The principal makes announcements,  I take attendance and bring them to my classroom at 8:30am. Now the day officially starts.

Every day, though, at 8:20, my alarm rings. I have a nice soothing song for this ring! Because . . . it is meditation time!

I sit down for 2-3 minutes and remember about what this day is about. It is about connecting. Being calm. Being a loving presence in the life of all of my students. At the end of the day, ALL of my students may or may not remember about how to add fractions, to use a Venn diagram or correctly use a thesaurus.

I do hope, though, that ALL of my students know that I cared for them. As a person. 

So I take some time to pause, breath and remember my job. My real job is planting seeds. The seeds of understanding - both academic and emotional!

These three minutes help me stay focused through the day. They are renewing for me.

How do you renew yourself daily? Is it a walk you take during lunch? Is it reading a book? What do you do to take care of yourself and remember the bigger picture?


1 comment: