Sunday, January 5, 2014

Time to reassess and organize

Happy New Year! Welcome back to the classroom. Now is a great time to rethink your classroom organization. I read an inspiring article at Edutopia about how to involve students in organizing your classroom. Here is a link to the article.





This year I've started labeling more things in the classroom so students are able to put things away with ease.

One fun game we play is the missing object game. After lunch, I will have a tub filled with random objects from the the classroom, like a stapler, some books from different parts of the library etc. Then, I pull name sticks and students try to find the correct location. If they need help, they can ask for help. They can get a hint or a "hotter/colder" hint.

How well is your organization working right now? Here are some questions to help you reassess.


Copy and paste these sentences and take some time to write your answers. It would be wonderful if you wanted to share some of your answers in the comments section. This would help out other teachers!



  1. I (or my students) can never find my (their) __________. 
  2. I (or my students) have no place to put________. 
  3. There's no room for __________. 
  4. I (or my students) are tired of ___________.
  5. I (or my students) can't _________ because of the clutter.
  6. I (or my students) am losing time or money because of ____________. 
  7. The disorganization makes me (or my students) feel ____________.
  8. What is and is not working for you in your classroom organization? 
  9. Which items are most essential for you for teaching, grading and planning?
  10. Why do you want to get organized?

Click here to learn more about my classroom organization class or sign up: 

No comments:

Post a Comment